World Autism Awareness Month
On April 2, 2018, people around the globe united to celebrate the 11th annual World Autism Awareness Day. On this day and throughout all of April, hundreds of thousands of diverse backgrounds connect over a common goal: to increase understanding, acceptance and support of those living with autism. This effort is demonstrated through many symbolic displays, such as wearing blue clothing, shining blue lights on landmarks, and other creative applications of the colour. Other initiatives include story sharing, social media campaigns, community events, fundraisers and educational programs. We are proud to be a part of this international community.
Jake’s House Flag Raising at Chaminade College
On April 9, 2018, as an expression of solidarity with those affected by autism, 400 students, teachers and other supporters will gather at Chaminade College School, where our very own Jake provides assistance in the library. In an effort to increase autism awareness and acceptance, the group will don blue shirts and raise the Jake’s House for Children with Autism flag, while sharing their commitment to the cause and encouraging further support on social media with the hashtag #brotherswearblue.
Microsoft Workshops for Students with Autism
Also in celebration of World Autism Awareness Month, our partners at Microsoft Square One are welcoming students with autism to join complementary, safe and friendly workshops that support creativity and problem solving. For more information and to register, click here (PDF) or on the workshop of interest below.
- April 6, 9:00-10:00am: Hour of Code for Students with Autism
- April 10, 6:30-8:30pm: Access 2 Accessibility – Network MeetUp: Entrepreneurs & Professionals with Disabilities
- April 12, 9:00-10:00am: Windows 10 apps and accessibility
- April 21, 4:00-9:00pm: Women’s Video Game Social #2
- April 22, 10:00-11:00am: Digital Art with Fresh Paint for Students with Autism
How You Can Support the ASD Community
Dedicated to providing support to families with autism every day of the year, Jake’s House is using the hashtag #JH365 as well as #JakesHouseCharity this month. We are also encouraging the community to remain engaged beyond April-here are a few ways you can get involved:
- Make a one-time donation-or offer a monthly contribution: all funds go toward the Legends Mentoring Program and Holiday Christmas Parties for families living with autism.
- Become a mentor: offer a bit of your time and share meaningful experiences with a child on the spectrum, encouraging them to feel a sense of belonging and to improve their social skills.
- Become a volunteer: if you’re interested in lending your time and talents to support the cause, we will find a place for you at Jake’s House.
- Contact us: we love collaborating with members of our community and finding new ways to help, so please feel free to reach out with any ideas you may have.